PDA

View Full Version : The Old Man and the Marine

EagleAce
05-19-2008, 02:44 AM
A nurse took the tired, anxious serviceman to the bedside.

'Your son is here,' she said to the old man.

She had to repeat the words several times before the patient's eyes opened.

He was heavily sedated because of the pain of his heart attack, he dimly saw the young uniformed Marine standing outside the oxygen tent. He reached out his hand. The Marine wrapped his toughened fingers around the old man's limp ones, squeezing a message of love and encouragement.

The nurse brought a chair so that the Marine could sit beside the bed. All through the night the young Marine sat there in the poorly lighted ward, holding the old man's hand and offering him words of love and strength. Oc casionally, the nurse suggested that the Marine move away and rest awhile.

He refused. Whenever the nurse came into the ward, the Marine was oblivious of her and of the night noises of the hospital - the clanking of the oxygen tank, the laughter of the night staff members exchanging greetings, the cries and moans of the other patients.

Now and then she heard him say a few gentle words. The dying man said nothing, only held tightly to his son all through the night.

Along towards dawn, the old man died. The Marine released the now lifeless hand he had been holding and went to tell the nurse. While she did what she had to do, he waited.

Finally, she returned. She started to offer words of sympathy, but the Marine interrupted her.

'Who was that man?' he asked.
The nurse was startled, 'He was your father,' she answered.
'No, he wasn't,' the Marine replied. 'I never saw him before in my life.'

'Then why didn' t you say something when I took you to him?'

'I knew right away there had been a mistake,
but I also knew he needed his son, and his
son just wasn't here.
When I realized that he was too sick to tell
whether or not I was his son,
knowing how much he needed me, I stayed.'

The next time someone needs you ... just be there. Stay.

WE ARE NOT HUMAN BEINGS GOING THROUGH A
TEMPORARY SPIRITUAL EXPERIENCE.

WE ARE SPIRITUAL BEINGS GOING THROUGH A TEMPORARY
HUMAN EXPERIENCE.
(I love this line)

PLEASE PASS THIS ONE ON AND GOD WILL BLESS YOU!
THIS IS WHAT WE ARE PUT ON THIS EARTH TO DO ANYWAY. RIGHT?
I PRAY THAT YOU HAVE A GREAT DAY AND BLESS SOMEONE ELSE IN SOME LITTLE WAY TODAY!
GOD IS SO GOOD!!!!

:cheers:

Randg1
05-20-2008, 12:13 PM
Very good and thought provoking post EA.
I don't know if this is a true story but it could be. I read this yesterday and have thought about it and what it sayes to our culture today.
You know, when you're 73 years old 100 years no longer seems like such a long time;). It was less that 100 years ago that most people died at home with their families careing for them to the end. My grand parents all deid at home and I saw the effects and learned early on that death is a natural part of living just as birth is.
In the early 1980's I was working at the hospital in Hemet, Ca. and met a Dr. that had a real soft heart for the dying and ask me if I would help him with a case he had, a young mother that was dying of cervical cancer. She was not welcome at home due to the smell of her body rotting away and the family just could not handle it. There was no insurance so a nursing home was out.
Anyway, two nurse' and I took shifts for three weeks until she died keeping her as pain free as we could and keeping her clean.
Out of this a Hospice group was formed. It was also during this time I read Kubler-Ross' book on Death and Dying. Since then where ever we live Glo and I try to be involved in the local Hospice program to some extent.
I think it is nearly criminal the way we treat our dying family members. It is sad that we are welcomed into this life but shunned when we leave.:thinking:

SweetSnuggler
05-20-2008, 02:20 PM
I think it is nearly criminal the way we treat our dying family members. It is sad that we are welcomed into this life but shunned when we leave.:thinking:

That's a fact!

EagleAce
05-20-2008, 02:23 PM
I second that! I spent as much time as I could with my grandmother before she died. She was 96 and lived a great life- I know because I'm here! ;)